I would have sworn that I read more books in August, but the middle of the month is a bit of a black hole. It didn’t help that my MP3 player bricked itself, so I needed to get a new one for my audiobooks. I just got that this weekend, so I expect the audiobooks to get back on track. I was also feeling a bit meh on books. There were a few that I started, but never finished. One I expect to finish, but I need to get it again from the library before I can do that. A *lot* of great books released in the last couple of weeks, and there’s some more due out next week, so I have a surfeit on my TBR pile. Now it’s just carving out the time to read.
- Storm’s Heart by Thea Harrison – The second in her Elder Races series. I really enjoyed this one, and loved Tiago. For as dark as the story can get, Harrison’s got a light tone to her voice that is making this series a lot of fun.
- Devil’s Kiss by Zoë Archer – Yeah, this isn’t due out until December. Thank you, Zoë, for the ARC! This is the first in her new Hellraisers series, paranormal historical romance. I really liked it. I’ll do a more comprehensive review closer to release.
- Angels’ Blood by Nalini Singh – This is the first in her Guild Hunter series, and while I’d read the other two, I’d never read this one. I’m glad I did. It very much straddles the line between paranormal romance and urban fantasy with strong romantic elements, and I think would be satisfying to readers of both subgenres.
- Obsidian Prey by Jayne Castle – Technical reread. Part of my reading jag of her Ghost Hunter series.
- Ghost Hunter by Jayne Castle – See above. Joyce Bean reads both, and I love Joyce Bean. I get a little weirded out when it’s not Joyce Bean reading Jayne Castle.
- The Blushing Bounder by Meljean Brook in the Wild & Steamy anthology – An entry into her Iron Seas world. *Loved* it!
Total read in August: 6
Total read in 2011: 79
- No Proper Lady by Isabel Cooper (9/1) – The premise intrigues me.
- Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen (9/1) – Another intriguing to me premise.
- The Wedding Affair by Leigh Michaels (9/1) – I have a soft spot for Michaels, and I have an ARC from the publisher.
- Archangel’s Blade by Nalini Singh (9/6) – Latest in her Guild Hunter series.
- Demon Marked by Meljean Brook (9/6) – I like Brook’s Iron Seas series, but I haven’t read her Guardian series, and this is the latest.
- Never Enough by Lauren Dane (9/6) – The combination of the secret baby and rock star tropes caught my eye.
- Kissing Comfort by Jo Goodman (9/6) – I love Jo.
- Prey by Linda Howard (9/6) – I’m sentimental toward Howard, but the last few books haven’t hit for me, and I haven’t read a couple of them at all.
- New York to Dallas by JD Robb (9/13) – Latest in the In Death series. You’ll pry this series from my cold dead hands.
- In Pursuit of Eliza Cynster by Stephanie Laurens (9/27) – I’ve already read this, and still need to review it, but noting it for people’s enjoyment.