If you’re not following me on Twitter, you may not have heard my big news. I got a new job which starts December 5th, and I’ll be moving to DC at the end of this month. I found out at the end of October and it’s been a flurry of packing and trying to find housing. I’m very much looking forward to when things settle down a bit. Also, I expect to be doing *a lot* more reading as I commute into work. Yay!
- Blood Rights by Kristen Painter – This is one the books I had set down in July. A friend asked if I read it and I decided to go back to it. I sucked it down in less than a day. Definitely proof that I was in a major reading funk in July & August. An intriguing spin on vampire urban fantasy.
- Doukakis’s Apprentice by Sarah Morgan – This had been getting some buzz by friends whose reading tastes I trust, and I’m making a point to read more category Harlequins this year. Very good, and I really liked that both main characters act like adults.
- Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione – First in her Demonica series. Very enjoyable. I like Ione’s voice a lot in that she’s got a light touch, but deals with some heavy character issues, and the lightness doesn’t detract from the heaviness.
- Desire Unchained by Larissa Ione – Second in the Demonica series.
- Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione – Third in the Demonica series.
- Ecstasy Unveiled by Larissa Ione – Fourth in the Demonica series.
- Sin Undone by Larissa Ione – Fifth in the Demonica series & sows the seeds for her current Lords of Deliverance series. I had read the first of the LoD books back in May and really enjoyed it. I liked being able to read this series back-to-back. Ione manages the worldbuilding details well and I found very few inconsistencies between books. Definitely recommended for fans of paranormal romance and urban fantasy with romantic elements.
- Serpent’s Kiss by Thea Harrison – Third in her Elder Races series. It took me a little while to get into this story. I enjoyed it in the end, and I’m not sure exactly why it took me so long to hook into the story. I’m definitely sticking with the series and look forward to the next one.
- Canyons of Night by Jayne Castle – Technical reread. Joyce Bean narrated. I’ll stand by my comments from when I first read this back in August. Not bad, but definitely transitional novel in terms of storyline for the setting.
- Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer – You will have to pry this audiobook from my cold, dead hands.
- The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie – I don’t think I’ve actually ever read this book before. If I have, I’d completely forgotten the story. This was originally published by Random House’s Bantam Loveswept line. You can absolutely see with this novel how Crusie would grow as a writer that straddles the line of romance and women’s fiction. She packs a lot of story within the confines of a category-length novel. There are some story elements that date it as being from the mid-90’s, but it overall holds up as a great story.
- Vampire Fight Club by Larissa Ione in the Supernatural anthology – Part of my glom of Ione’s Demonica & LoD books & related stories. Very enjoyable and a quick read.
Total read in October: 12
Total read in 2011: 98
- Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook (11/1) – Next in her Iron Seas series. I’ve been lusting after this book since the first novel came out, and before I knew this would have the characters I wanted together 😀
- The Next Always by Nora Roberts (11/1) – First in her Inn Boonsboro trilogy.
- The Black Hawk by Joanna Bourne (11/1) – Long-awaited story of Adrian Hawkhurst. I should probably reread the first two books in the series as well as getting around to reading The Forbidden Rose as there’s a lot of his backstory in those books.
- The Hunter by Theresa Meyers (11/1) – Western steampunk romance with fantasy elements. I’m intrigued by the premise of the story and want to see how it stands up to other steampunk romances I’ve liked.
- Heart of Darkness by Lauren Dane (11/1) – I’m liking the premise of power plays between factions of witches.
- Reaper by Mina Carter (11/1) – A woman who has the powers of the Grim Reaper. This is a trope/character set that I’m a sucker for.
- Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh (11/22) – I’m curious about her non-Angel books.
- Bad Blood by Kristen Painter (11/22) – Third in her House of Comarre series.
- Immortal Rider by Larissa Ione (11/22) – Second in her Lords of Deliverance series.
- Her Christmas Pleasure by Karen Erickson (11/28) – I liked her last historical for Carina Press and want to see how she does with this one.