Happy Labor Day! And happy posting at the beginning of the month to me! Definitely an uptick in rereads, but overall a fairly well-read month. Even better is I don’t have a lot of books I started but abandoned. I hate it when that happened. I usually only mark a book as DNF if I can tell there’s something there that I do want to read, but for whatever reason I’m not in the mood to read it at the time. That happened with the first in Kristen Painter’s House of Comarre series.
- The Chilling Deception by Jayne Castle – Number 2 in her Guinevere Jones series from the mid-1980s. Enjoyable.
- Pleasure Rush by Farrah Rochon – Part of the New York Sabers series. Loved it!
- Sweet Talk by Julie Garwood – Got this as an ARC from the publisher. I was a bit leery as the last few by her have been lacking something. This one feels like she’s getting back to form. Her author voice is immensely readable for me, and it felt like the plotting and storytelling were more cohesive.
- Samurai Game by Christine Feehan – I don’t know what it is about this series for me. I keep reading them even though I feel like I’ve missed a couple of books with regard to the overarching story, and I’m almost positive I haven’t. I know a lot of reader friends who say certain series are laced with crack because they keep going back. This is definitely one of mine.
- Haven by Kay Hooper – Latest in her Bishop/SCU series. Yay!!! There were some twists I wasn’t expecting in this story, which surprised me a bit as I’ve been reading this series from book one and Kay has pulled this kind of twist before. I’m very much looking forward to the next one.
- Riveted by Meljean Brook – First, thanks, Meljean! This comes out on 9/4 and Meljean was kind enough to supply me with an early copy. I love this series so much partially because she takes each book in slightly different directions which keeps the world fresh and interesting. Meljean’s also great with addressing various social issues in her world, and this one’s a doozy.
- The Sinister Touch by Jayne Castle – Third in her Guinevere Jones series. Enjoyable.
- Blood Ties by Kay Hooper – After reading Haven, I had to go back and reread this.
- Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase – One of my favorites by her.
- Now You See Her by Linda Howard – One of my all-time favorite romances period. I love how anti-social Sweeney is.
- Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City by Meljean Brook – I loved the look into Mina and Rhys’ marriage after they’ve been together for a while. Definitely a neat reminder that an “HEA” is always a work in progress.
- Reaper by Mina Carter – I’ve had this for a while and thought it was an intriguing post-apocalyptic world. If Carter’s got any other books planned for this world, I’m willing to read them!
Total read in August: 12
Total read in 2012: 76
- Archangel’s Storm by Nalini Singh (9/4) – Next in her Guild Hunter series. I am so in love with this series and have been taunted all weekend by friends who’ve read early copies.
- Riveted by Meljean Brook (9/4) – At least I get to be the taunter on this one. So good!
- The Lost Night by Jayne Castle (9/4) – Spin off of her Harmony/Ghost Hunters series.
- The Dirty Girls Book Club by Savanna Fox (9/4) – I’ve had a Post-It with this title sitting on my desk for months now, and I’m not sure why. Seems to be trade paperback erotic romance, so will see if I can get it through the library.
- The Last Renegade by Jo Goodman (9/4) – I’ve really enjoyed Goodman in the past, but have yet to read her last few books, so this may get put on the backburner.
- All He Ever Needed by Shannon Stacey (9/10) – Latest in her Kowalski series.
- Delusion in Death by JD Robb (9/11) – Latest in the Eve Dallas series.
- Hunter’s Season by Thea Harrison (9/18) – Latest of her novellas in her Elder Races series. Already pre-ordered.
- The Lady Risks All by Stephanie Laurens (9/25) – Roscoe’s story. I’ve already read and greatly enjoyed!