I was so pumped the last time I posted a read list for the previous month and would not have imagined that I’d go four months without updating. We had a major loss in the family soon after the August reads list posted, and it threw me off stride big time. Now that we’re through the holidays, and it’s the new year, it’s time for a fresh start. I still need to update my watchlist for 2013, but here’s what I read during the last third of 2012. Unless the book made a big enough impact on me to punch through the depressive emotions to stick, I’m not going to include any commentary. Suffice it to say, me finishing a book during this kind of episode says a lot about how well it worked for me.
- The Lost Night by Jayne Castle
- The Lady Most Willing by Julia Quinn, Connie Brockway and Eloisa James – ARC from publisher
- Archangel’s Storm by Nalini Singh
- Kissing Comfort by Jo Goodman
- Skies of Steel by Zoe Archer – ARC from publisher
- Lord’s Fall by Thea Harrison – You definitely need to read Dragon Bound before reading this. Reading the other novels in the world is also helpful, but not as crucial to understanding what’s going on.
- A Night of No Return by Sarah Morgan – ARC from publisher. reading Sarah’s books always remind me of how great Harlequin series books can be.
- Nights of Steel by Nico Rosso – ARC from publisher
- Moonlight and Mechanicals by Cindy Spencer Pape
- City of Dark Magic by Magnus Flyte – ARC from publisher. I had a few issues with the technical side of the storytelling, but the author’s voice and pacing really sucked me in. Definitely for those who enjoyed A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
- Without a Summer by Mary Robinette Kowal – ARC from publisher. I love this series so much, and I am so not a fan of Austen who is very much the inspiration behind Kowal’s style for these books. This is a great series that continues to build upon itself and makes each book a richer experience.
- Alien vs. Alien by Gini Koch
- The First Prophet by Kay Hooper
- And Then She Fell by Stephanie Laurens – ARC from publisher
- Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs
- Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
- Fair Game by Patricia Briggs
- The Brazen Bride by Stephanie Laurens
- The Curious Sofa by Ogdred Weary (Edward Gorey) – This is a unique little book and is highly suggestive without ever really tripping into explicitness.
- The Untamed Bride by Stephanie Laurens
- The Elusive Bride by Stephanie Laurens
- The Reckless Bride by Stephanie Laurens
- Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn – from work
- Hunter’s Season by Thea Harrison
- Seduced by a Pirate by Eloisa James
- Alpha and Omega by Patricia Briggs
Total read in September through December: 26
Total read in 2012: 102