It’s not much, but I feel like it’s a lot especially considering the length of a few of the books. Part of this is because I’ve been furiously writing my own fiction. I finished the first draft of a novel, and started a novella. The time that I’d usually be listening to audiobooks is also being used for listening to podcasts. This month I decided to focus on clearing out my To Be Read (TBR) mountain. This trend will be continuing in future months 🙂
- Alien in the House by Gini Koch – Latest in the Katherine “Kitty” Katt series. It took me a while to get into it, but I enjoyed it. The overarching story of the series continues to move along.
- An Invitation to Sin by Sarah Morgan – copy provided by the author – Loved it. Both of the characters accept their flaws, and work at being mature. What I really love about Sarah’s Harlequin Presents titles is that I never feel like they’re angst for angst’s sake. Plus, she writes some very smoking scenes 🙂
- Sinner’s Heart by Zoe Archer – Conclusion to the Hellraisers trilogy. I really enjoyed this. The whole series is an interesting mix of paranormal elements, adventure, and a not-common historical setting.
- Rogue Rider by Larissa Ione – Conclusion to her Lords of Deliverance quartet. I’ve had this sitting on my ereader for almost a year, had started it and had never gone back. I thought I’d just skip over it and go straight to the sequel book, Reaver, that is releasing later this year. I’m glad I didn’t. There’s a lot of set up in this story for Reaver. However, I also feel like this set up pulled attention away from the main characters. As a long time reader of the series, I was able to (mostly) follow along, but if you were to pick this up first, you’d probably feel lost and not be a happy reader.
- Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts – I enjoyed this. I’ve got other titles of hers I’d rank ahead of this one as favorites, but this is definitely one I’d reread before some others. I liked both main characters as well as quite a few of the secondary characters and they struck me as people I’d enjoy hanging out with if they were real people.
Total read in August: 5
Total read in 2013: 54